Monday, October 4, 2010

Pneumothorax

> As I was driving though the inner harbor this morning headed to the hospital I received a phone call from one of the pediatric surgery doctors who works with our surgeon, dr. Lukish. Lalo's daily X-ray showed a pneumothorax, which is a pocket of air between his chest wall and his lung. This occurs as a result of being on a ventilator for an extended time. I had to give consent for them to place a chest tube to relieve it. It sounds like a relatively safe procedure (at least compared to what he's been thru), but untreated it could potentially cause a collapsed lung and cardiac arrest.
>
> When I arrived 15 minutes later or so, they had decided to get another X-ray to confirm. One of the surgical team members told me that since that the X-ray looked similar to the first one, he was going to consult with Dr. Lukish to decide whether or not to proceed with the tube placement. I haven't heard back yet, but at least it does not sound as urgent as the phone call I received this morning. Keep little Lo in your thoughts today.
>
> Sarah
>
> Sent from my iPhone

No comments: